5 Live Music Musts – December 20, 2013
Friday, December 20, 2013
Fungus Amungus at the Met
Tonight, rock out to the funky jam-band sounds of Fungus Amungus at the Met. The band is in town for an Ugly Sweater Party because Friday December 20th is “National Ugly Christmas Sweater Day.” Who knew? Tickets are $10 in advance, $12 day of show. Great Big Circles and Johnny Lingo open at 8:30.
Skaliday show at the Spot
Also tonight, hit the Spot in Providence and stay “Home for the Skalidays.” Local Ska band Short Handed Goal headline, with A Guy Named Guy, The Bitchin' Aardvarks, Poor Jeremy, and Soundoff scheduled to appear. Tickets are $10 or bring a toy to support their annual Toy Drive. Got that? – Admission is free if you bring a new unwrapped toy! Music starts at 8PM.
Antje Duvekot at Sandywoods
Tomorrow night, celebrate the Winter Solstice at Sandywoods with critically acclaimed Boston singer-songwriter Antje Duvekot. Her latest album, New Siberia, has been praises as “a masterpiece of the modern folk genre.” Show is at 7:30PM, tickets are $18 in advance, $20 at the door.
Aine Minogue - A Winter Meditation
Traditional Irish harpist, singer, and storyteller Aine Minogue is also playing a Winter Solstice concert Saturday night at Common Fence Music. We’re certain to hear music from her new release, Winter – A Meditation. She’s highly regarded in the world of traditional Celtic music and it should be a great evening. Tickets are $20 in advance, $23 at the door for the 8PM concert.
Ska and Afroman in West Warwick
Finally if you need more Ska (and you know you do), head to Manchester 65 in West Warwick for a free show on Sunday. It’s their first annual Ska-liday celebration featuring the Copacetics, Mr. Furious, The Screw Ups and Truth in Soul. Head back to Man 65 on Thursday, December 26 for a post-holiday bash starring Afroman along with a plethora of other artists. Tickets are only $15 for the show that begins at 7 PM.
- 5 Live Music Musts: December 13, 2013
- 5 Live Music Musts: December 6, 2013
- 5 Live Music Musts: November 28, 2013
- Marilynn Mair: Making Music from Rio to Rhode Island
- Don’t Miss: RI Music Hall of Fame’s Unity Concerts
- MUSIC: Big D & The Kids Table Pick It Up At Fete
- MUSIC: Built To Spill Returns To The Met
- MUSIC: Providence Native SweenS Opens For Wale Friday at Lupo’s
- MUSIC: Revival 2013 Comes Back To The Columbus
- MUSIC: ZZ Top Rocks Twin River
- MUSIC: Justin Townes Earle Thrills The Newport Blues Cafe
- MUSIC: Tapestries Ring In The Release Of New Album At The Columbus
- MUSIC: Roses Bloom at Local 121
- MUSIC: Toxic Holocaust Thrashes Through Dusk
- MUSIC: Chris Cornell Unplugs The Vets
- MUSIC: The Mighty Good Boys Make It Look Easy At AS220
- MUSIC: The Brother Kite Flies High At The Roi
- MUSIC: Temptations Bring Motown to Rhode Island
- MUSIC: The Winery Dogs’ Mike Portnoy Talks To GoLocal
- MUSIC: Talib Kweli Keeps It Real At The Met